Saturday, January 06, 2007

Does God really know everything?

Scribe: God, Queen_Cyn asks "Does God really know everything?"

God: THANKS FOR THE QUESTION, CYN. I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO ASK ME THAT.

Scribe: Cute.

God: THANKS.

Scribe: So the answer is "yes", right? You are omniscient. I looked it up and that means "possessed of universal or complete knowledge."

God: TRUTH BE TOLD, THE ANSWER IS BOTH YES AND NO.

Scribe: Why am I not surprised?

God: GIVE ME A BREAK, SCRIBE. SOME QUESTIONS DO NOT LEND THEMSELVES TO BLACK AND WHITE ANSWERS.

Scribe: Okay, I get you. Let's hear it.

God: I DO KNOW EVERYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED THE MOMENT IT OCCURS. I KNOW EVERY WORD SPOKEN, EVERY THOUGHT CONTEMPLATED, EVERY FEELING FELT.

Scribe: Sounds omniscient so far.

God: BUT BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE FREE WILL AND I TRY NOT TO INTERVENE, I FREQUENTLY DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE UNTIL IT HAS ACTUALLY OCCURRED.

Scribe: So if I ask you if I'll get hit by a bus tomorrow?

God: I'D SAY THAT I DON'T KNOW. THE VARIABLES IN THAT SITUATION ARE WHETHER A BUS DRIVER SEES YOU WALKING DOWN THE STREET AND SUDDENLY DECIDES TO SWERVE ONTO THE SIDEWALK AND MOW YOU DOWN...

Scribe: Yikes!

God: ...OR YOU DECIDING TO STEP OFF OF THE CURB JUST AS A BUS PASSES BY SO THE DRIVER HAS NO CHANCE TO REACT AND AVOID HITTING YOU.

Scribe: In either case, couldn't you pluck me out of harms way?

God: I COULD, BUT AS I'VE SAID REPEATED DURING OUR INTERVIEWS, I TEND NOT TO INTERVENE.

Scribe: You couldn't even just shout, "Look out, Scribe"?

God: I COULD BUT I WON'T. PEOPLE WOULD HAVE A HARD TIME DEALING WITH A DISEMBODIED VOICE SHOUTING WARNINGS AT THEM THROUGHOUT THE DAY.

Scribe: I wouldn't.

God: I'LL TAKE THAT UNDER ADVISEMENT.

Scribe: So no advice that might help my personal safety?

God: WATCH WHERE YOU WALK.

Scribe: Thanks a lot.

1 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

Funny. I would expect that God would have a better grip on quantum physics.

2/11/2007 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home