Saturday, December 30, 2006

Why do you let some creatures become extinct?

Scribe: Reed asks "Why do you let some creatures become extinct?

God: THANKS FOR THE QUESTION, REED. A LOT OF PEOPLE WONDER THIS.

Scribe: Yeah, me too. I mean, you created all of these cool species on the planet and then you just let them die out. It's incredible to think that the Asian Elephant, the Blue Whale and the Cheetah are all endangered. My grandkids might not ever be able to see these things in zoos, only read about them in books.

God: I UNDERSTAND AND APPRECIATE THE CONCERN. BUT THINK ABOUT THE DINOSAURS. THEY WERE EXTINCT A LONG TIME AGO BUT PEOPLE STILL STUDY AND LEARN ABOUT THEM. IF ANYTHING, THEY ARE MORE "ALIVE" TODAY THAN EVER.

Scribe: To me, that's different. Dinosaurs were long gone. We never knew them. These others have shared the planet with us and now they're almost completely gone.

God: I KNOW I SOUND A BIT LIKE A BROKEN RECORD THESE DAYS BUT IT ALL COMES BACK TO THE FACT THAT ONCE I CREATE SOMETHING AND SET IT IN MOTION, I RARELY INTERCEDE. UNLIKE IN THE OLDEN DAYS WHEN I HAD NOAH BUILD THAT ARK AND THEN I FLOODED THE WORLD, THESE DAYS, I TRY TO LET THE WORLD RUN ITS OWN COURSE.

Scribe: See, the ark is a good example of something you could do. Back then you had Noah collect two of each species and load them on the ark to repopulate the world after the flood. Why don't you do something like that again?

God: FLOOD THE WORLD? TRUST ME, THAT DIDN'T TURN OUT SO WELL FOR MOST HUMANS.

Scribe: No, just create an island somewhere and plop down two of each endangered species so they could repopulate.

God: SORRY. NOT THE WAY I WORK. IF A SPECIES IS ENDANGERED OR HAS GONE EXTINCT, IT IS BECAUSE ITS ENVIRONMENT HAS CHANGED IN A WAY THAT NO LONGER SUPPORTS THAT SPECIES. IF PEOPLE WANT A SPECIES TO SURVIVE, THEY'LL TAKE STEPS TO SAVE IT. CREATE NATURAL REFUGES AND MORE NATIONAL PARKS. IF NOT, ONLY THE STRONG WILL SURVIVE.

Scribe: So once again you throw it back in our laps?

God: THEM BECOMING ENDANGERED WASN'T MY DOING.

Scribe: That's harsh.

God: YES, SOMETIMES HUMANS ARE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home